Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."


 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spike and his terms of endearment

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mylie
Warrior


Joined: 21 Dec 2017
Posts: 109

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Spike and his terms of endearment Reply with quote

ok so I mentioned already how much I hate that Spike always calls Buffy "Slayer", especially in the comics. It reduces her to just being the slayer and not "Buffy" and I feel that's a bit representative of how Spike sees Buffy.

Now I have another term of endearment that he uses for her that I need to add to this : "Pet". I'm watching The Killer In Me (only 12 minutes in) and he's already used it twice. It grates on me so much! Why is he using that term? It somehow feels patronizing. And what human being would want to be called "pet" ? I'm not sure if it's my bias or anything, but it's such a big turn off for me. I feel like it's going to annoy me endlessly.

Sorry, I needed to vent. I guess I now have this thing with the way Spike is addressing Buffy. And I'm so glad it wasn't Angel's style!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dcai0830
Warrior


Joined: 20 Sep 2017
Posts: 202

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really really don't like it either. But I'm not sure if the "pet" thing is a British term that is just often used? I have definitely heard of it before.

And after trying to half halfheartedly read this really bad spuffy fic in which Buffy is LITERALLY a pet to soulless Spike (like she is in a cage and has a collar and... its disturbing in a way that is beyond words) I have an even harder time hearing Spike call Buffy pet. I think that fic ruined that word for me forever honestly.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mylie
Warrior


Joined: 21 Dec 2017
Posts: 109

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcai0830 wrote:
I really really don't like it either. But I'm not sure if the "pet" thing is a British term that is just often used? I have definitely heard of it before.

And after trying to half halfheartedly read this really bad spuffy fic in which Buffy is LITERALLY a pet to soulless Spike (like she is in a cage and has a collar and... its disturbing in a way that is beyond words) I have an even harder time hearing Spike call Buffy pet. I think that fic ruined that word for me forever honestly.


Whattttttt

Thank you for sharing this. You've just made it 10x worse lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle
Moderator


Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Posts: 1419

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this the story that was on the Sunnydale Fanfic Club? I only read a bit of it and then, you know, reminded myself this is why I don't give Spuffy a chance.

But yeah, a lot of the things Spike says in canon are more common in British English, though by no means universal.
_________________
But there the silver answer rang: not Death, but Love.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
dcai0830
Warrior


Joined: 20 Sep 2017
Posts: 202

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - this is the story on the Sunnydale Fan Fic Club. This is the story where the author called Bangel disgusting and statutory rape. I thought it was the richest form of irony that the author that wrote about Buffy being a sex slave had a problem with Angel being older the Buffy on the show.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mylie
Warrior


Joined: 21 Dec 2017
Posts: 109

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcai0830 wrote:
yes - this is the story on the Sunnydale Fan Fic Club. This is the story where the author called Bangel disgusting and statutory rape. I thought it was the richest form of irony that the author that wrote about Buffy being a sex slave had a problem with Angel being older the Buffy on the show.


Wait... did she say that on the podcast or?

Was it the fic called "Pet" ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle
Moderator


Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Posts: 1419

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcai0830 wrote:
yes - this is the story on the Sunnydale Fan Fic Club. This is the story where the author called Bangel disgusting and statutory rape. I thought it was the richest form of irony that the author that wrote about Buffy being a sex slave had a problem with Angel being older the Buffy on the show.


I kind of wanted to use my episode for a counterattack but I didn't have the opening/guts. :/
_________________
But there the silver answer rang: not Death, but Love.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mylie
Warrior


Joined: 21 Dec 2017
Posts: 109

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so she did bash Bangel on the podcast... How awkward... Or did it feel natural? I’ve only listened to 2 episodes so far and it doesn’t seem like it fits the tone of the podcast but maybe I’m wrong.

I don’t know why this slayer/pet thing annoys me so much. I think it’s because it feels dehumanizing in some way and Buffy’s humanity is very important to me. But I guess it fits the last 2 seasons.

My next gifset will be Angel saying Buffy’s name. I know I said I would do it a while ago and I don’t have much free time, but I’ll try to make it happen soon-ish.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grace Newman
Chosen One


Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Posts: 507
Location: Washington, DC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mylie wrote:
Ok so she did bash Bangel on the podcast... How awkward... Or did it feel natural? I’ve only listened to 2 episodes so far and it doesn’t seem like it fits the tone of the podcast but maybe I’m wrong.


It was part of her story about how she got into the show/writing fic. If you want to make yourself angry, start listening around minute 8.

http://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/show/thesunnydalefanficclub/id/6202633

This is one of the only episodes I've skipped.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mylie
Warrior


Joined: 21 Dec 2017
Posts: 109

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Grace! I just listened to it. I think this is the kind of person that I could probably never enjoy the work or even have an reasonable discussion with as we see the world so differently.

But knowing about this bit and her fic manages to reinforce my already strong dislike of Spike calling Buffy « Pet ».

Is it me or the sound of this episode wasn’t as good? The 2 I’ve listened to so far had a far better sound quality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dcai0830
Warrior


Joined: 20 Sep 2017
Posts: 202

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the sound quality left something to be desired in this one from the little I heard before I started saying cursing to myself Smile But they had some technical difficulties that could be why.

Kairos - I think you did a good job representing our fandom by not bashing. Taking the higher road is the more civil and mature thing to do. I, however, lack maturity so I take the low road quite often. Razz
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mylie
Warrior


Joined: 21 Dec 2017
Posts: 109

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think it's better not to bash, especially on this kind of podcast where I assume many listeners are writers and hearing other writers talk about their writing can bring them to want to read their work despite it not being their ship. If I wasn't already turned off by the setup of the story, then this bashing would have been a turn off for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grace Newman
Chosen One


Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Posts: 507
Location: Washington, DC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I admit to feeling pretty smug that a Spuffy went bashy first.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle
Moderator


Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Posts: 1419

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bows deeply* You are all very, very correct and I'm glad our little corner of the fandom is currently full of such mature and fair-minded people.

I shouldn't have phrased it "counterattack" - what I had in mind was more of a "Here's what the show looks like from the Bangel point of view." There were two ways I had in mind to approach the questions about how I got into the show and writing fanfiction for it, but they both involved stories about my personal life and when I got there I chickened out and didn't use either. Not because I didn't want anyone to know, but because I didn't trust myself to tell it right.

Anyway, it would have been nice to use that time for one of those personal stories, which is about how I was coming out of a lousy relationship and B/A helped reaffirm my belief in love. That's something I'd like the whole fandom to hear, including Spuffy shippers: they can get whatever they want out of their ship, but if they think that Buffy and Angel's romance never did anyone in the real world any good, they're just plain wrong.
_________________
But there the silver answer rang: not Death, but Love.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mylie
Warrior


Joined: 21 Dec 2017
Posts: 109

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kairos wrote:
*bows deeply* You are all very, very correct and I'm glad our little corner of the fandom is currently full of such mature and fair-minded people.

I shouldn't have phrased it "counterattack" - what I had in mind was more of a "Here's what the show looks like from the Bangel point of view." There were two ways I had in mind to approach the questions about how I got into the show and writing fanfiction for it, but they both involved stories about my personal life and when I got there I chickened out and didn't use either. Not because I didn't want anyone to know, but because I didn't trust myself to tell it right.

Anyway, it would have been nice to use that time for one of those personal stories, which is about how I was coming out of a lousy relationship and B/A helped reaffirm my belief in love. That's something I'd like the whole fandom to hear, including Spuffy shippers: they can get whatever they want out of their ship, but if they think that Buffy and Angel's romance never did anyone in the real world any good, they're just plain wrong.


Thank you for sharing this.

It's the beautiful side of fandom and it shows how powerful storytelling can be.

I can't wait to listen to your episode. I still need to read the fic and will try to make time for it soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> General Show All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group