Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile phones (cellphones) blessing or curse?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Writers' Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LisaP
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Mobile phones (cellphones) blessing or curse? Reply with quote

It's entirely possible that the next generation of human beings will be born with a phone already attached to their ears, as it seems that there are sectors of our population who are physically incapable of being separated from their precious phones.
Does it bother you that some friends insist on bringing their phone along to all your get-togethers, like a third (univited) guest?
Or do you think that being able to be constantly in touch with the outside world is a real plus?
What do you like/hate about mobile phones (cellphones to our US posters)?

Go on, indulge yourselves - I can't believe that most of us don't hold fairly trenchant views on this subject!

Occasionally, I'm callous and strange
chachee
Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... I confess when my girls were starting to drive, and out and about way past my bed time.. to save my sanity we invested in cell phones... i thought they were a blessing,as the girls could call me if they were in trouble, broke down in their car....
half the time i think people in the grocery store are talking to me, when in fact they are talking on their cell phones...Rolling Eyes
and i do try and not bring it or keep it on silent... when i am out with friends.... but i do have friends who will talk on it right in the middle of an evening out.... for me it is almost like they are saying.. i dont really want to be talking or out with you....sheesh

chachee
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one carry my phone everywhere and it only rings rarely. How sad is that? I carry it for emergencies and if I need to ring home...however, I have noticed when out, of late, couples on a date seem to be sitting or walking together but both are chatting on their phones. What's up with that? Are they together on a date or just together for the in-between times when they are not talking on the phone?

I mean to say, I can understand the need to answer the phone in case of emergencies but people stay ON them and chat for LIKE forever. If I was the one sitting there, waiting for the call to finish, I'd be moving on.

Next it will be people talking on the Net at Forums....*chuckle*.

Ares Twisted Evil
LisaP
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you, Ares, my phone stays switched off 90% of the time. When frustrated friends (who live with their mobiles permanently attached to them) moan that they can't get in touch with me, I smile sweetly and remind them that my phone is for me to choose who and when I want to talk to someone, not the other way round.

Chachee wrote:
Quote:
when i am out with friends.... but i do have friends who will talk on it right in the middle of an evening out.... for me it is almost like they are saying.. i dont really want to be talking or out with you....sheesh

Yep, this one makes me seethe and grind my teeth. And also, not being the most romantic of people, it drives me nuts when husbands/wives, bf/gf seem addicted to calling each other dozens of times a day, to say absolutely nothing....and as for constant stupid texting...don't get me started. I am the scrooge of mobile phone culture. Rolling Eyes

Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't tend to use my mobile much, but I do like the text facility. You can use it as a mini email - especially if you just want to leave a quick message for somebody.

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
dlgood
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find cell phones near indispensible.

Note. I do not use my cell phone to chat. I use my cell phone to coordinate. If I am supposed to be meeting up with people, having phones are pretty much a must:

Need to let people know you are stuck in traffic and running late?
The movie got sold out, and you want to make alternate plans?

Or suppose I want to run errands at the store, but am also waiting on someone else to get back to me to find out if we are meeting for dinner? Being able to get messages, instantly, without having to go back home - remarkably useful.

There are plenty of problems with the cellular phone. Mostly, I think it's a matter of culture and etiquette. Speaking solely from a functionality standpoint - it's a vital tool if one knows how to use it appropriately.
Mike
Useless Git
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mobile phones have reached a situation almost parallel with cars; they are extraordinarily useful for today's lifestyle, they have their implications for the environment, and some people like to buy a new one every few months and show it off. Razz
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think mobile phones have reached a situation almost parallel with cars

Um… not quite. Most blokes regard their car as a reflection of their masculinity. Carrying around a mobile the size of the Empire State Building is a little impractical!

Mike
Useless Git
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting point. I think mobile phones work the other way around, with the size of the device regarded in inverse proportion to the apparent coolness of its owner.
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So… will there come a point where you need a magnifying glass and a toothpick in order to be able to use a minute mobile phone?

dlgood
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
will there come a point where you need a magnifying glass and a toothpick

Nah. Once they get that small, they'll be hands free. You'll just wire it directly into your skull and think out the commands...
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nah. Once they get that small, they'll be hands free. You'll just wire it directly into your skull and think out the commands...

OMG! I'm not certain I want my thoughts broadcast to the world at large!

LisaP
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DS wrote:

Quote:
OMG! I'm not certain I want my thoughts broadcast to the world at large!

Too late, DS - you've written enough fan fic for us to have a pretty good idea of the inner workings of your mind. I'd be very scared if I were you.

Hmmmm, that sets me thinking... Twisted Evil

Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Too late, DS - you've written enough fan fic for us to have a pretty good idea of the inner workings of your mind.

Oh, dear... Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Writers' Workshop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: