Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Handle feedback - essay/question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Writers' Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D.M.
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: How to Handle feedback - essay/question Reply with quote

I guess this is somewhere between rant, essay and a question, namely how do you handle feedback? Weíre all well aware of the problems with feedback (and what feedback whores weíve become especially those of up growing up doing paper zines and were happy if three people a year wrote to say how much they liked your story/art). For the most part we donít get enough feedback. Itís certainly one of the reasons Iím not going to be taking too many more ficathon challenges. I donít mind not getting a lot of feedback but when you write a story for someone I donít think itís asking too much to get a little thank you at the very least even if you didnít like the story or it wasnít what you wanted. Iím running about 50/50 on getting a response and I know a lot of others are too. Iím thinking am I THAT bad in answering these challenges? Somehow Iím not sure.

That aside, since thereís no way of making people give you feedback (which is one of my annoyances with the Ďif you donít feedback me Iím going to stop writing this storyí crowd. To me thatís an instant turn off). Iím more curious what others do with the feedback you get. Me, I like to thank the person if I can and often I get involved in conversations with the feedbacker. Heck, thatís how I got to Ďknowí most of you. Now, we all get flamers from time to time. Iím not too worried about them. I DO wonder why is it that they feel they need to flame something especially when the pairing is listed at the top of the story. Just donít read it if you donít like it. I know where the delete button is and I use it quickly on these people. I will edit that crap right out of archives like Fanfiction.net.

My concern on feedback currently is how do you handle your regular feedbackers who are constantly putting in little annoying things (check out my reviews at ffn for examples)? Now sometimes we might disagree with how a writer handles a character and say something. Thatís okay with me. Sometimes we might beg for the inclusion/exclusion of a certain character. Thatís okay too. Itís when this becomes the only focus of the feedback that I begin to get irritated. I wouldnít mind it if they beg for a certain character and still give great feedback. I have one regular reader for whom this has become a running joke with us. Does anyone else have the problem of your readers writing merely to dictate which characters should do what? You get, Ďnice chapterí and I want Ďfill in the blank?í

Am I the only one who has regular readers who no longer comment on your story other than to complain you still have THAT character in the story? A hundred other things could happen in the chapter and THAT character might have two lines and the only feedback you get is to belittle THAT character. Am I the only one who has regular readers that get furious if Spike isnít the perfect fighter or that Wes isnít a bad-ass or if someone gets the better of Angel and/or Buffy? I wouldnít mind if it was some random feedbacker making this complaint but lately itís been my regulars who want to Mary Sue those characters. Itís gotten to the point that I dread opening reviews because Iím tired of getting marching orders for what has to happen and complaints that I still havenít killed off Spike or Connor or you get the picture.

Like I was saying, I like to talk to my readers. Iíve politely pointed out that I LIKE that character and will continue to use them or illustrated with example that all the characters from time to time FAIL on the show. No oneís perfect. This has been totally ignored or argued so Iíve pretty much given up on that. I was just wondering does anyone else have this problem. Is it just me and if not, how are you handling it? I hate just replying to the positive reviews and ignoring the weird and/or negative ones but itís starting to go that way. I donít mind getting negative reviews if they have something constructive to say. If theyíre right, Iíll go change the mistake. If I can prove theyíre wrong, Iíll illustrate why I think that theyíre wrong. If I get something like this ship sux, I just hit delete.
Mike
Useless Git
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't write Angel stuff, but I can relate to this in a general sort of way. I've run various websites over the last four or five years and some of the feedback has been very bizarre, and often completely incomprehensible. For example, I once ran a site about videogames to which this was sent:

Quote:
i love your site of can you please put it on television? i would love it alot my faveorite castaway is banjo he is so cool i would like the music on the show please & all the castaways i would like to see the fan art everything please put it on tv

I don't know how to start handling feedback like that. Rolling Eyes And then there's ones like this:

Quote:
...I'm afraid to go on the message boards; they've degenerated farther than I could have possibly expected...

Oh, so very constructive. What would you like me to do about it, sir? Ban everyone, or what?

How about this one for ridiculous feedback?

Quote:
Why didn't you update crying like [another site] about George [Harrison's death]? What's the matter with you?!?!

...to which I can only reply, bleh? Am I supposed to write an update every time somebody famous dies in case one of their fans is reading, or something? I mean, it was very sad about Mr Harrison, but what's it got to do with me?
D.M.
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mike"]
Quote:
i love your site of can you please put it on television? i would love it alot my faveorite castaway is banjo he is so cool i would like the music on the show please & all the castaways i would like to see the fan art everything please put it on tv

I don't know how to start handling feedback like that. Rolling Eyes And then there's ones like this:
Quote:

Ummm WTF? How do they propose you do that? Okay I feel MUCh better now. I would have died laughing at that one.

How about this one for ridiculous feedback?

Quote:
Why didn't you update crying like [another site] about George [Harrison's death]? What's the matter with you?!?!

...to which I can only reply, bleh? Am I supposed to write an update every time somebody famous dies in case one of their fans is reading, or something? I mean, it was very sad about Mr Harrison, but what's it got to do with me?

Okay I'm afraid to ask WHAT kind of site did this yahoo post this up at. I'll assume it wasn't a Harrison/Beatle related site. Yeah, I guess the moral is if you put it out there expect some freak to make some sort of weird comments or requests
Mike
Useless Git
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was about computer games. Absolutely nothing to do with the Beatles at all. Razz
LisaP
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, guess I've been very fortunate re the whole feedback thing, having only ever received helpful and positive fb.

I've always been very cautious as to where I've placed my stories, having restricted posting to Scribes of Angel, the Lyric Wheel, and my own little site, which sits floating in cyber-space with no links to other sites other than those already mentioned. It does mean that feedback is far more limited than lots of people get, but I guess regular frequenters of Scribes & the Lyric wheel might be the kind of people who are not wedded to any particular 'ship or character, so don't have axes to grind in those directions.

However, if I did start to get regular feedback that annoyed me, I'd probably do one of two things. Ignore them completely and just delete the e-mails, or create a form e-mail along the lines of "Thank you for your comments. They will be passed to the relevant department for their information". I'd certainly avoid getting into any kind of discussion with people who didn't like my writing. After all, this is for fun, and nowhere does it say that we have to write anything for anyone but ourselves!

Occasionally, I'm callous and strange
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> Writers' Workshop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: