Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fic: Fated
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Fiction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cluelessangel85
Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TED!
Laughing
That's my theory and I'm sticking with it Very Happy

'Always'
Meshakhad
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Phases: Teaser Reply with quote

A/N: Sorry for the wait! Life has been difficult, and I wanted to get the whole thing outlined before I started writing.

Teaser:

“Hey, Will!” Buffy called to her friend, who was watching the Dingoes finish up their last song.

“Buffy, you’re looking awfully cheerful,” Willow pulled out a chair. “May I ask why?”

“I am now a fully emancipated minor,” Buffy sat down in the proffered chair.

“Good for you! I take it you found a source of income?”

“I did.” Buffy looked up and behind Willow. “Hey, boss.”

“Hey, Buffy,” Oz replied. He was standing behind Willow.

“Wait, what?” Willow looked confused.

“Oh, I hired Buffy as a stagehand,” Oz explained. “She’s stronger than the four of us put together.”

Which is why Oz paid her twelve bucks an hour. This was how Buffy would be making a living from now on.

“So, to celebrate, I am inviting all of you over to what is officially my house on Saturday.”

“I’ll be there,” Oz promised.

“I’ll give Xander a call!” Willow said. “What’s his number? Oh, yeah, 1-800-I’m-Dating-A-Skanky-Ho.” She rolled her eyes.

“Meow!” Buffy replied, surprised at the jab. Not that she disagreed with the sentiment. Oz was completely silent – probably wise on his part.

“Really? Thanks,” Willow blushed slightly. “I’ve never gotten a meow before.”

“Well deserved.”

“Darn tootin’!” Willow sat back in her chair. “I’m just saying, Xander and Cordelia? I mean, what does he see in her anyway?”

“But what could she possibly see in him?” Xander broke the kiss, much to Cordelia’s exasperation.

“Excuse me? We didn’t come here to talk about Willow. We came here to do things I can never tell my father about because he still thinks I’m a good girl.”

“I just don’t trust Oz with her. I mean, he’s a senior, he’s attractive – okay, maybe not to me, but – and he’s in a band. And we know what kind of element that attracts.”

“I’ve dated lots of guys in bands,” Cordelia replied. Two of whom were in the same band as Oz.

“My point exactly,” Xander nodded.

“Do you even want to be here?” Cordelia was getting frustrated. “Because when you’re not babbling about poor, defenseless Willow, you’re raving about the all-powerful Buffy.”

“I do not babble,” Xander responded. “I occasionally run on, every now and then I yammer…”

“Xander?” Cordelia interrupted.

“Yeah?”

“Look around. We’re in my daddy’s car, it’s just the two of us, there’s a beautiful, big full moon outside tonight. It doesn’t get more romantic than this. So shut up!”

A clawed, hairy arm tore through the roof of Cordelia’s father’s convertible.

“AAAAAAH!” she screamed.

End Teaser

Credits:

Sarah Michelle Gellar

Nicholas Brendon

Alyson Hannigan

David Boreanaz

Charisma Carpenter

And Anthony Stewart Head as Giles

Created by Joss Whedon
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

“I’ll give Xander a call!” Willow said. “What’s his number? Oh, yeah, 1-800-I’m-Dating-A-Skanky-Ho.” She rolled her eyes.

Oh, this is priceless. I love it.

Great start.
cluelessangel85
Chosen One

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice use of some of my fav lines from the show Very Happy

'Always'
Meshakhad
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any comments on Buffy's new job?
cluelessangel85
Chosen One

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any comments on Buffy's new job?

interesting choice?!

to be honest I barely blinked at that one.

'Always'
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did "The Dingoes Ate My Baby" make enough money to pay for a stage hand? :0)

If they did, it makes sense to have Buffy on the payroll.

Wink
Meshakhad
Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ares wrote:
Did "The Dingoes Ate My Baby" make enough money to pay for a stage hand? :0)

If they did, it makes sense to have Buffy on the payroll.

Wink

I'm going to assume that the Dingoes are actually good, Oz's self-depricating comments notwithstanding. I deleted lines indicating that Oz helped Buffy with other aspects of becoming emancipated as he is emancipated himself, and lives off that income. I mean, they do have gigs outside of Sunnydale. They're similar to any of the small real bands that performed on the show.
Meshakhad
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Phases: Act One Reply with quote

A/N: I own nothing. Joss owns all, that evil bastard.

“Get us out of here!” Xander said. The hairy arm tore another hole in the roof.

Cordelia searched frantically for her keys. “Where are they? Where are they??” She was panicking now.

“We need to get moving NOW!” Xander shouted.

“Found ‘em!” Cordelia fumbled as she tried to start the car up. When the engine finally revved up, she floored it.

“Thought I heard something,” Xander muttered as they drove away.

“And you’re sure it was a werewolf?” Buffy asked.

“Well, it might have been a Wookie, but as this is Sunnydale and not Tatooine, I’m going with werewolf.” Xander had his arm around Cordelia as they explained what had happened last night.

“It was awful,” Cordelia moaned. “It was like being in a horror movie. Then again, that’s pretty much par for Sunnydale.”

“At least you escaped unhurt,” Giles inspected the damage to Cordelia’s car. The roof was completely torn through – not that Cordelia would have a problem paying for repairs. “However, I fear that the werewolf will be back with next month’s full moon.”

“What about tonight’s full moon?” Willow piped up.

“Pardon?”

“Well, last night was the night before the full moon, traditionally known as… the night before the full moon.”

“Then the accepted legend that werewolves always prowl before the full moon might be erroneous! I need to consult my books.” Giles walked away.

“I’ll hack the SPD, look at the police reports from last night, see if I can find any pattern,” Jenny left after Giles.

“And we’ll… go to class,” Buffy frowned.

Maybe this was why Kendra studied.

Three boring classes later, Willow and Buffy met up for lunch.

“So,” Willow asked, “how are things with Angel?”

“They’re… good,” Buffy replied, a little hesitantly.

“What do you mean?”

“Well… everything’s different now. Before, I was like any other girl. I lived at home with my mom, and I saw my boyfriend whenever I could. Now I don’t see him, I live with him. He’s a part of my daily life. He’s the first thing I see when I get up, and the last thing I see when I go to sleep.”

“Isn’t that what you wanted?” Willow smiled.

“It is… but it’s not what I thought it would be. We don’t spend every minute we’re together kissing." Or other things. "We have to live our lives. I still have to get up and go to school in the morning. I still have to eat. I still have to patrol in the evening – and now I’ll be working as well. And I can’t get away with not doing homework anymore.” Buffy lowered her head for a moment. “So, how about you and Oz?”

Willow’s smile faded.

“Oz and I are kind of in a holding pattern,” she said glumly, “only without the holding… or anything. I mean, he said he was gonna wait till I was ready, but… I’m ready! Honest. I’m good to go here.”

“I think it's nice he's not just being an animal,” Buffy tried to point out a positive side.

“It is nice. He's great. We have a lot of fun. But I want some smootchies.”

“Well, have you dropped any hints?”

“I've dropped anvils.”

“Don’t worry. He’ll come around,” Buffy assured her. “What guy could resist your wily, Willow charms?”

“At last count? All of them. Maybe more.”

“Well, none of them know a thing. They all get an 'F' in Willow.”

“But I want Oz to get an 'A.' And, ooh, one of those gold stars.”

“He will.”

“He’d better hurry. I don't want to be the only girl in school without a real boyfriend. I mean, you’re engaged. That’s like, boyfriend squared.”

“Well, what about Cordelia?”

“What do you mean? She has Xander.”

“Yes, but all they do is fight and make out. And in my experience, it doesn’t count unless you actually care about each other.”

In the courtyard, Cordelia found Harmony perusing the latest copy of Vogue. Surprisingly, her current boyfriend, Larry, was absent.

“Harmony!” she called.

“Hey, Cordelia,” Harmony sneered.

Cordelia ignored the sneer. “We need to coordinate outfits for the dance.”

“Oh, are you and Xander wearing matching outfits?”

“What?”

“Well,” Harmony stood up, “a girl’s got to look good for her geek.”

“Shut up, Harmony.” Yes, Xander was a geek, but he was a hot geek. “Anyway, I’m wearing red and black, so you need to switch -”

“Red and black? Is that what Xander likes? Or what he’s paying you to wear.”

That caught Cordelia’s attention. “Say that to my face!”

“I said,” Harmony got right in Cordelia’s face, “is that what Xander’s paying you to wear, you whore? What are you going to do about it?”

“Me? Nothing. I was just trying to distract you so my boyfriend could get behind you.”

Harmony turned around just in time to see Xander’s fist on a collision course with her face. She crumpled to the floor like a blow-up doll with a hole in it.

“Nobody calls my girl a whore.”

“Thanks.” Cordelia took Xander’s proffered arm as they walked away.

“You know, that’s going to mess up your plans for the dance.”

“Oh, I’ll coordinate with Buffy.”

Buffy walked into the library to find Jenny poring over a map of Sunnydale.

“So, any progress?” she asked.

“Yes, actually,” Jenny looked up from the map. “I went over the police reports from last night, and I think I’ve managed to trace the werewolf’s path.”

“And?”

“Well, it seems as if the werewolf started here,” she pointed to the makeout spot where Xander and Cordelia had been attacked, “and moved through the center of town, eventually hitting the Fish Tank. Looks like it did a lot of damage there.”

“Think we should check it out, Giles?” Buffy asked.

“Yes, actually. I’ve been having a problem finding solid information on werewolves.”

“Really?” This was new – Giles not having information.

“I would have thought you’d have dozens of books on werewolves,” Jenny inquired.

“I do. Unfortunately, they are quite contradictory. The Codex Noctis, for instance, states that werewolves can only be harmed with silver weapons. But the Watcher’s Diaries have multiple accounts of slayers fighting werewolves with conventional weapons. Some sources claim that werewolves retain their minds, others that they become animals in wolf form. If I could see the result of this attack, it might help me pin down the truth.”

“Let’s go, then.”

Giles had never been to the Fish Tank before. By reputation, it was the kind of place he would have enjoyed going to in his youth – and a place that he would have forbidden Buffy from ever going to unless she had a supernatural reason.

But as Buffy did have a supernatural reason, Giles gave her a ride.

“’Closed for repairs’,” Buffy read the sign on the door. She then calmly kicked it, reducing the door to firewood.

“Buffy, was that strictly necessary?” Giles asked.

“Relax. They’ll assume the werewolf did it.”

She was probably right.

The place was wrecked – confirming his fears about the strength of werewolves. The werewolf had barreled right through the eating area, leaving several upturned tables, broken chairs, and one shredded couch in its path.

Fortunately, there had been no fatalities – or even serious injuries. The werewolf clearly wasn’t very fast.

“Buffy, any luck?” Giles called. She came over, holding a video tape.

“I think I found the security footage. We should take a look –“

“Who goes there?” came a voice from the stage.

Giles had seen a lot of things in his life. Monsters, demons, magic, and far too much death. But the man pointing a gun at him was still rather scary.

Bloody Americans and their guns.
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this chapter a lot. You've got interaction between all your characters going rather well, Buffy's thoughts on living with Angel - which I thought you did splendidly with - an a mystery to solve. Well done on that score.

The one thing that puzzles me is -

Quote:
“However, I fear that the werewolf will be back with next month’s full moon.”

“What about tonight’s full moon?” Willow piped up.

“Pardon?”

“Well, last night was the night before the full moon, traditionally known as… the night before the full moon.”

“Then the accepted legend that werewolves always prowl before the full moon might be erroneous! I need to consult my books.” Giles walked away.

Did you mean to say "the accepted legend that werewolves never prowl before the full moon might be erranous?" Because the werewolf did prowl before the full moon which would prove that the legend was correct.
Meshakhad
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Thanks!

And yes, the bit about Buffy living with Angel was probably the highlight of the act. I've seen a lot of romance fics where the main couple seems to spend all their time making out or having sex. I wanted to get away from that, creating what I thought was a more realistic picture of Buffy living with Angel.

Come to think of it, that's the whole point of "Fated" - a B/A fic that doesn't focus entirely on the relationship.
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wanted to get away from that, creating what I thought was a more realistic picture of Buffy living with Angel.

That is one of the reasons I liked this chapter. You've gone away from the usual googly eyes at each other thing.
cluelessangel85
Chosen One

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as usual I liked it.

I don't love the part where Xander hit Harmony though, its just not Xander,its too wrong. Do you know what I mean?

'Always'
Meshakhad
Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cluelessangel85 wrote:
as usual I liked it.

I don't love the part where Xander hit Harmony though, its just not Xander,its too wrong. Do you know what I mean?

To be honest, I wasn't sure about it myself. I tried to write it with Xander punching Larry, but I couldn't see Larry - or any guy - insulting Cordelia to her face like that.
Meshakhad
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guns were not something Buffy ran into very often. In her entire career as a Slayer, she had only been shot at twice – once in Las Vegas, and once by Darla.

With any luck, today wouldn’t be the third.

“I said, who goes there?” the gunman repeated. He was dressed in a heavy coat, and carrying a long-barreled hunting rifle.

“Name’s Buffy,” she replied evenly. “Who are you?”

“Cain. Gib Cain. Now what are you doing here?”

“Hunting werewolves?” It just came out. Though Buffy couldn’t think of anything better to say.

Cain lowered his gun, then began laughing.

“It’s funny if you don’t believe in werewolves…” Buffy started.

“No, it’s funny to think about you killing one.”

“I can handle myself.” Buffy didn’t want to reveal her identity as the Slayer, but she had her pride.

“Let me ask you something. How many werewolves have you killed?”

“Killed?”

Cain displayed a tooth necklace.

“I tore a tooth from every wolf I kill. This one will make it an even dozen.”

“And it doesn’t bother you that a werewolf is a normal person twenty-eight days out of the month?”

“I don’t know if they really are. All I know is that the other three, they’re a monster.”

After a minute of Buffy and Cain staring at one another, Cain put away his gun.

“Well, I’m done here. Any idea where else the boys and girls like to get together in this town?”

“You looking for a party?”

“No, but the werewolf is. They're suckers for that whole 'sexual heat' thing. Sense it miles away. But this place isn’t opening tonight, so the werewolf’ll look elsewhere.”

“Sorry. Can’t help you.” Not that Buffy didn’t have a few ideas, but she wasn’t about to tell him.

“Well, this outing was very illuminating,” Giles said after Cain left.

“Yeah, but now we’ve got two problems,” Buffy muttered. “Stop the werewolf from biting people, and stop Cain from killing the werewolf.”

“Do you have a plan?” Giles asked.

“Assemble the troops.”

“Okay, people,” Buffy addressed the assembled Scooby Gang in the library. Everyone was there – Willow, Xander, Giles, Cordelia, Jenny, Oz, even Angel.

“We’ve got less than an hour before sunset. We need to capture the werewolf so it can’t bite anyone, and we need to stop Cain so he can’t kill it.”

Her gaze wandered around the room, before settling on the girl next to Xander.

“Cordelia. What are the most likely locations in town for people to get together?”

“Well, with the Fish Tank closed, the Bronze is going to be even busier. There’s the place where Xander and I were attacked near the woods. And there’s the Motel 6 – lots of one-night stands there.”

“That’s three places for us to cover.” Buffy thought for a moment. “Oz and I will take the Bronze, since the Dingoes are playing there anyway. Angel, can you get into a motel room uninvited?”

“I doubt it.”

“OK, then you and Willow can go to the woods. Xander, Cordelia, Jenny, Giles, you cover the Motel 6. Let’s move, people!”

Cain sat in the back of his van, contemplating the silver bullet he had just made. As he waited for sunset, his thoughts turned to the idiotic little girl he had met earlier.

What had she been doing there? As funny as the idea of her hunting a werewolf was, she had acted completely seriously. Maybe she was a good shot. Maybe she wasn’t alone – there had been that older guy with her, though he looked like a librarian.

He wondered if she might be the werewolf herself. Serial killers sometimes revisited their crime scenes, why not werewolves? Not that he would shoot her unless he had actually seen her change from human to werewolf.

Cain had seen his dad had been ripped apart by a werewolf when Cain was 18. After that, he had dedicated his life to hunting the monsters, so they could never hurt anyone else. He wasn’t in this for thrills, or for money.

He was in it because it was the right thing to do.

Covering the Bronze was actually a little boring. Buffy mostly came to hang out with Willow, Xander, or Angel. But they were off covering other locations. And after helping the Dingoes get set up and staking out a good vantage point, there wasn’t a whole lot to do except sit and watch the band.

She decided to try vamp-spotting. Buffy hadn’t been able to sense vampires the way Giles said she should, but she could often pick them out based on a dozen different clues. Outdated clothes were a big one – that was how she had identified the first vamp she had encountered in Sunnydale. Well – knowingly encountered. The first was Angel, but she only found that out weeks later. Pale skin was another hint – any human living in Sunnydale ought to have a decent suntan.

Even nerds like Tucker Wells.

Buffy was pretty well attuned to anything out of the ordinary, and a pale Tucker Wells at the Bronze, chatting to girls, and not making a fool of himself, was definitely out of the ordinary. His current target was Lishanne Davis, a cheerleader.

Not wanting to draw attention to herself, Buffy simply watched them from afar. Vampirism seemed to make just about anyone more charismatic, and Tucker was no exception. He was making Lishanne laugh, and even danced with her before heading to the exit. Buffy followed.

Outside the Bronze, Tucker and Lishanne were kissing against the side of the building. Buffy had seen this a hundred times. When she closed her eyes, he would vamp out, let her scream, then feed.

Fortunately, vamps in feeding mode rarely paid attention to their surroundings. As they kissed, Buffy crept closer. When Lishanne closed her eyes, Buffy drew a stake. And Tucker was dust the moment Lishanne started screaming.

“Oh my… oh… what was that?” Lishanne panted. Her dress – a rather nice shade of purple – was covered in Tucker dust. Tears started to roll down her face.

“Don’t worry, you’re OK,” Buffy held Lishanne’s shoulders, comforting her.

“He was… a vampire…” Lishanne sobbed.

“You’re fine. Go on home.”

Lishanne nodded. She wiped away her tears, and started walking away.

Most Sunnydalers didn’t admit to the existence of vampires. That probably had to do with the fact that most people who saw vampires didn’t live to talk about it. But thanks to Buffy, there were more and more survivors.

Buffy wished everyone knew the truth. She thought that if she got on stage at the Bronze and announced that vampires were real, most Sunnydalers’ reactions would be like Oz’s “that explains a lot!” rather than her own initial disbelief.

And if everyone knew she was the Slayer, it might be easier too.

When Buffy went back in to the Bronze, the Dingoes were done playing. She went upstage to help them break the set.

“Hey, Buffy,” Oz greeted her, “you walked out on us!”

“Sorry.” Buffy picked up a drum set like it was made of cardboard. “Had some unscheduled slayage.”

“Oh, I see. Well, at least that’s over.”

In retrospect, those were very poor words, for just as Oz finished talking, a werewolf burst through the back window onto the stage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Fiction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: