Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will books ever be phased out?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> The Library
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Will books ever be phased out? Reply with quote

With the development of electronic devices it is now possible to download fiction onto portable handheld machines and thereby - in theory - doing away with the need for books.

Good idea or not?

If you don't know what I'm talking about - very common, I assure you - this is one such device:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
ljgould
Forum Guardian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As convenient as devices like Kindle may be, I'm sticking to books. There's something satifying about holding a book and turning the pages. It's comforting.

However, I suspect that eventually books will become if not extinct, then obsolete -- simply because that is the way that change works.

BTW, I still prefer vinyl to CDs. Call me old fashioned.
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen lots of ads for Kindle. Even though I use my laptop to read fanfiction I'm a lo tech gal when it comes to the written word. There's something about a book that can't be reproduced with an electronic reading device. You can pop a book in a bag, in your car, on the floor, wherever, and it doesn't run out of batteries or memory. I know Kindle promises a library of memory but what happens if the device gets corrupted? Or dropped? Or put throught the wash by accident?

No thanks. I like to run my fingers over the spines of my books on the bookshelf and choose a book by it's cover. A title on a screen? How bloodless is that?

This is the stuff of Star Trek. I know it's gonna happen, but hopefully paper books will still be around for a long time yet.

Besides, what'll my cat do for rubbing against the pages while I try to read?
ljgould
Forum Guardian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several of my friends have Kindles, and they all love them. I've considered getting one...mainly for when I travel. You can carry a huge number of books with you, and they can download magazines and newspapers.

But, like you Ares, I prefer to hold my real books. Wink

As for the cats...I'm sure Natty would find a way to use a Kindle. My laptop has tooth marks on the corners, and I know I didn't put them there. Confused
cluelessangel85
Chosen One

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Giles on this subject Very Happy

"Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower or a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences long forgotten. Books smell... musty and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer is... it has no texture, no context. It's there and then it's gone. If it's to last, then the getting of knowledge should be tangible. It should be, um... smelly."

I love the smell of books old books especially. One of my favourite things to do is to curl up in a big comfy chair or in bed and read. When its raining or cold it's the best thing to just bury myself in my doona with hot cocoa and immerse myself in a good story that takes me away to another place.

I love to read fanfic on the computer but its not the same as a book.

Quote:
I suspect that eventually books will become if not extinct, then obsolete

Bite your tongue LJ Laughing

unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me at all if they digitalise all books, however I for one would fight to keep them. those kindle things do look cool though and it would be easier to pack for holiday than a pile of books.

'Always'
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've considered getting one...mainly for when I travel. You can carry a huge number of books with you, and they can download magazines and newspapers.

Mmm...I suppose, and to be fair, having never used one I should reserve judgement...however, there's nothing I like better, when on holiday, to walk into a bookshop and browse. I can browse for hours, esp. if they serve coffee, which most do, nowadays. And browsing always means leaving the shop with a bagful of books. You can't do that with Kindle.

Good for you, Clueless. The smell of a book...

Quote:
My laptop has tooth marks on the corners, and I know I didn't put them there.

Yeah. A likely story. *BG*
cluelessangel85
Chosen One

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

'Always'
ljgould
Forum Guardian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I returned a test to my students earlier this semester, and one of them looked up at me and said, "Where's the part that was stapled to it?"

I'm sure I looked blank for a moment, then told her there was only one sheet for the answers, so no staples. Then I asked why she thought there was another page.

She held it up and there were two perfectly placed holes in the corner. I knew that Miss Puss (aka Natty) had been at the test papers. She loves to pierce paper, but she usually does wrapping paper.
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement with everyone else about how satisfying it is to read a book rather than an electronic device, but I still have my eye on getting a Kindle sooner or later. It's not that I don't want shelves full of books, but the use of all that paper makes me wince. If I can save a couple trees and still get all my reading in, I might choose to make that sacrifice.

Will books be phased out completely, though? Never. I could see them becoming more rare in the future, but we're always going to cherish them too much to stop publication in paper media.
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She held it up and there were two perfectly placed holes in the corner. I knew that Miss Puss (aka Natty) had been at the test papers. She loves to pierce paper, but she usually does wrapping paper.

Oh that naughty puss. Don't talk to me about wrapping paper. I have to make sure the cat isn't about when I start to wrap gifts. Otherwise the paper's shredded.

I think paper books will always be around. I can't see the poor in Africa or Bangladesh, etc - places where electricity, never mind, computers and internet aren't available - converting to Kindle so readily. It's costly and you need the infrastructure.

As for saving trees, do what I've done. I own shares in plantation forests, grown especially for paper and pulp, so that our native and old forests are left alone.
Plus, there's always recycling. I'm all for that. Imagine how many trees would be saved if all toilet paper was recycled paper? :0)
cluelessangel85
Chosen One

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I own shares in plantation forests, grown especially for paper and pulp, so that our native and old forests are left alone.

That's so cool, such a good idea

'Always'
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ares wrote:
As for saving trees, do what I've done. I own shares in plantation forests, grown especially for paper and pulp, so that our native and old forests are left alone.
Plus, there's always recycling. I'm all for that. Imagine how many trees would be saved if all toilet paper was recycled paper? :0)

Touche! I recycle as much as I can, but, well...I have a kind of obsessive nature. And right now I'm trying hard to not own too many things, especially books, because I seem to move too often. Eventually I'll probably settle down and start collecting stuff again.

Which also reminds me of another great environmentally conscious choice for booklovers-- used book stores. Not every town has one, unfortunately, but can I get a hell yeah for those that do? The books get a second life, we get to save some cash, and the trees stay standing. Everyone wins!
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes! Used books stores are the best too. Not only can you get a book at next to nothing prices, you help save the trees too.

We, too, try and recycle as much as possible. Our council has special bins for recycling green waste, paper and plastics and metal. It can't hurt, can it?
Becks
The Beast
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will books ever be phased out?

Not if I get any say in the matter.

Imagine a world without books.
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Imagine a world without books.

*Shudder*

I'd rather not....

Oh, and don't forget that I'm encouraging people to post reviews of books they've read on this board, but I think you're all shy. Or does nobody want to be first?

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> The Library All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: