Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B/A Alpha
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Fiction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: B/A Alpha Reply with quote

Alpha
Author: Ares
Word count 725
PG

Feedback? Yes please.

Written in repsonse to a discussion elsewhere in the forum.

4. They're both Alphas, and neither one of them is willing to ride shotgun.

“We can’t go on like this, Buffy. You’re the slayer. It’s your right to lead.”

“No it’s not, Angel. You’re the world’s champion. You have a mission. I say that you are our team leader.”

Angel looked around. They were in the cemetery – of course they were in a cemetery, it made for good television – nobody else about, except for the silent headstones listening in. What else are the dead to do with their time? Below the gravestones, the dead are aware of the mortals above them. They hear a lot of gossip. Aunt Alice made a terrible apple pie the other week, Uncle Bob is slumming it with a tramp, so Bob’s niece Shirley was telling her father. If he could have, Shirley’s dad would have turned in his grave. As it was, he lay there listening to his daughter weeping and raging, unable to do a thing but send her his sympathy, not that she could feel it. Tonight the dead heard something new. Their fleshless ears absorbing every word.

Angel turned back to the love of his life. He was sitting on a headstone, he didn’t want to tower over her like someone in charge would do. Buffy stood between his legs. Her eyes level with his. “I don’t want to step on your toes, Buffy. Besides, you’re better than I am. You are all that encompasses good. Look at you. You’re beautiful…”

“So are you.”

“You’re young…”

“You look young.”

“And you’re blonde. Of course you should be the boss of me.”

“Like Darla, you mean?” Buffy’s eyebrows rose, and the impish smile she gave him told Angel she was not at all put out about his long dead Sire. She was telling it the way she saw it. Angel had had a boss for one hundred and fifty years. It had been Darla. And now he was looking for another to replace her.

Buffy was almost swayed by his argument, but she saw a different future for them both.

“You’re tall…”

“Height isn’t a requirement,” said Angel.

“You’re strong…”

“You’re stronger.”

“I doubt that, Angel.”

“Is that a challenge?”

Buffy was determined not to be sidetracked. “You have a lot of experience. You know things.”

“So do you. You’ve come a long way, Buffy. Survived two deaths, Glory, The First, Spike…”

Buffy clenched her fists. He wasn’t allowed to talk about Spike.

“I hit a nerve.” He was contrite. “I’m sorry.”

She attempted to laugh it off. “You can’t wriggle out of it so easily, buster. We were talking about you and being leader of the group. It doesn’t work having two alphas in the pack.”

He leapt on her analogy. “She wolves lead the pack.”

“And that is what I meant by you knowing things.” Her smile was bright with the knowledge she was winning the argument.

“But... I’ve made a mess of things. My friends are dead. My son…”

Buffy didn’t want Angel to hurt anymore than he already was. The mention of Connor brought him pain. She said quickly, “You’re right. You made mistakes. I’ve made mistakes. So what? We learn from them. We do better next time.”

“And that is why it should be you.”

Damn! He had out-manoeuvred her. Perhaps there was another way.

“What about Xander? I think he would jump at the chance to lead us.”

“He doesn’t like me.”

Buffy leaned forward and kissed him.

“Poor baby.”

“But if you think Xander should?” he asked somewhat reluctantly.

“Well, it would mean we wouldn’t have to fight anymore. We can be followers. Minions. What do you say?”

Angel thought about it. Looking into Buffy’s face, her eyes shimmering in the moonlight, he could see she was hoping he would agree. She was hard to resist.

“I suppose we wouldn’t have to worry about every decision we make.”

“And we could make out way more. That’s a plus.”

He was tempted. “I can ignore his snide remarks.”

“Could you follow his orders?”

Angel grinned. “The buck stops at the top, right? I think we may have a winner here. Buffy, you’re brilliant.”

“Xander it is.”

Buffy giggled. Angel was kissing his way down her neck. Things had just got way more interesting. Necking with Angel was now her top priority. Let Xander worry about the world now.

The End
The Librarian
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Sigh*

You really do like torturing them, don't you?

Laughing

Jo
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? Here already? I've been sweating over how to cross post. It's taken me an hour. Tea was almost overdone. But I finally nutted it out.

Well, they do do torture well. Wink

And the question is a legitimate one, don't you think? Or would Angel defer to Buffy?
Leni
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! B/A cuteness to send me off to my travels this week. *HUGS* This was adorable! I didn't expect the ending but, hey, if it'll give them more necking time, I'm all for leader!Xander. *g* It is about priorities.

*grins*
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny! This makes perfect sense: the actual conflict isn't about who gets to lead, but who gets to follow. After you, my dear, I insist!

I loved "You're tall..." And the fact that they're in a cemetery because it makes good television. And letting Xander lead! The utmost sign of humility!

Seriously, after all they've been through, why would either of them want to continue being the ones to take charge? Necking isn't only way more fun, it's what they deserve.
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*g* Thanks, guys. I'm so glad that you thought it was funny. You made me laugh with yours, Leni, so I thought I'd try and do the same.

Yep, Xander was a last minute inspiration. I mean, he's the least person you would want to lead, right?

Necking also leads to other, more naughty pursuits. Drooling

And have you noticed that any good show always has a cemetery scene? Supernatural, especially. LOL

Hugs

*dance of joy*
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the banter! And the solution is certainly novel…

When I read this bit..

Quote:
If he could have, Shirley’s dad would have turned in his grave. As it was, he lay there listening to his daughter weeping and raging, unable to do a thing but send her his sympathy, not that she could feel it. Tonight the dead heard something new. Their fleshless ears absorbing every word.

I kind of expected Shirley's dad to get exasperated and tell them to get on with it! Or throw a dice, or something…

Fun story, Ares! Thank you for sharing!! Smile

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, DS. I'm glad you liked.

I suppose Shirley's Dad could've sworn a swear word or two, Shirley unable to hear. I never thought of it, actually, and this is where discussion is good because next time I will. *beams*
BA4eva
Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loved the fic Smile the banter was so cute
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, sweetie.
Meshakhad
Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cute.

Though I would suggest Willow, who was Buffy's unofficial second-in-command. Every time Buffy was out of commission, whether she was catatonic or dead, Willow took over.
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm glad you thought it was cute.

But I thought that giving the job to Xander, who would be the last person I'd like to lead, was a hoot. That was the whole idea.

Otherwise, yes, Willow would be the obvious choice.
The Librarian
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ares wrote:

Quote:
I thought that giving the job to Xander, who would be the last person I'd like to lead, was a hoot.

As I said - you do like torturing them, don't you! Xander! Shocked

Laughing

Jo
Ares
Forum Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes. Torture is good. Having Xander lead the team? Diabolical!

Twisted Evil
sybil
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stuck out my finger and let it linger.
I closed my eyes and trusted their heart,
as my finger dropped and stabbed in the dark.
Your name is known, your love is true;
I dared to read when my mood is just blue.
It could have been sad, it could have been cute,
it could have been angst or grave or mute.
Yet destiny chose my free will to guide
to you and your fic for sunshine inside.
I had no idea you were just “meant to be”
exactly like Angel and his Buffy!

You are the first fic I’ve read since PP. I haven’t had the heart to fix my heart after season 8. I didn’t know Joss was really serious he didn’t want Buffy with any vampire, especially since he rose to the occasion for Dawn to be with Xander, absolutely proving to me that these two were the story promised as we fans knew from day one. I didn’t know they weren’t supposed to be seen as beautiful. It was Spuffy with Angel’s face Joss was going for; I can’t get my mind around Spuffy, let alone this or even why.

You have presented the Buffy and Angel I see and you have captured perfectly their own way of play. The voice is true and the premise they are actually good for each other, respect each other, and forgive each other is clear.

I think that Buffy had to be the one to come up with the solution; she always finds that “surprise” alternative, she always was the surprise answer, for that matter. It is what holds Angel and Angelus in pure fascination. And then they just love each other.

You feel it’s truth and warmth and that even the dead would smile. Wonderful to place this in the animated and crowded world paradoxically seen as silent, separate, isolated and even compartmentalized. Unable to do anything, but raise sorrow and loss. All reasons people also avoid graveyards, yet pour out their hearts—it won’t matter. And here you chose for them to figure out what does matter! How to be true!

OF COURSE it had to be Xander. PERFECT CHOICE! He is a good man, a worthy man who was the one who picked up Buffy’s stakes from the very first episode. It was a “pure Buffy” choice that only highlights you really were paying attention to these people, their journeys, their conflicts and why they are even in the same world of concerns; and it was just hilarious to picture our couple as “suffering minions.”

Besides, every leader also knows you have to follow to be good at leading. (Knowing what followers need). Xander proves it!

I know this all goes on and on, but the concentration of what you wrote makes this a grand gesture of an entire mythology in very few words.

Now I’ll go and have a little cry for the relief you provided, the gratitude for you to write this and for me to have the salve of you in this moment in time to have found a B/A that is real, a story well told and fresh, a command of complexity that satisfies, yet also helps me rather than hurts me. Thank you! Heart
HUGS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Fiction All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: