Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions that I have for the writers on this board.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Fiction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babytess6693
Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Questions that I have for the writers on this board. Reply with quote

This is just a short interview for all of the writers on the board to introduce themselves to all the newbies and to share their pearls of wisdom with us.

What is your name or alias?

When did you start writing fanfiction and what made you pick up the pen or rather the typewriter to do it?

What helps you write and get your muse going? Is it chanting or music or watching a particular show or movie? Or is it something as simple as having a few glasses of wine?

What is the secret to describing a emotional scene for those of us who have trouble with it?

Who are your favorite authors in fandoms and who write books?

Has there ever been a fic that you read that you just couldn't wait to stop reading because it was so terrible and so OOC and just weird?

There has been an influx of writers going to livejournal instead of updating their websites or starting up websites, Do you believe that is because it's the hip thing to do or because we are in a recession and money is tight and it costs too much to maintain or create a website?

Are there any other fandoms besides this one that you currently write for?

What is your cure to writer's block?

Would you ever consider becoming a mentor of sorts to someone who might be new to our fandom?

You know like helping them perfect their writing skills and telling them the best sites to go to in our part of the fandom and oh how to avoid getting in a shipper fight.

Have you ever been a beta reader or do you plan to be one in the future?

What would you say is the best piece of fanfiction that you have ever written?

What would you say is the biggest problem in fandom right now?
In terms of anything and what needs to change in order to make it better?

Lastly, what is your biggest piece of advice to anyone who is considering writing for our fandom or any fandom in general?
Kairos
Forum Gargoyle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to be known as Kairos. My screen name usually reflects that, though on LJ it's "perpetual".

When did you start writing fanfiction and what made you pick up the pen or rather the typewriter to do it?

Imagine, if you will, a dark night in Oregon in the late naughties. Kairos can't sleep. She's thinking about Angel biting Buffy in GD2. She starts making up other scenarios for Angel to bite Buffy. God help her, she's enjoying this...

What helps you write and get your muse going? Is it chanting or music or watching a particular show or movie? Or is it something as simple as having a few glasses of wine?

Right now, it's answering this survey. Seriously! Unfortunately, I haven't come up with much else that reliably gets me in the zone, which is the main reason my writing is so sporadic. I'd love to just find a magic button for myself.

What is the secret to describing a emotional scene for those of us who have trouble with it?

The shortest and truest answer, which sucks, is that there is no secret. It's just one of those things that comes with practice. I try to convey emotion by including unexpected dialogue - make it unique to the characters - or details that might seem irrelevant. A panicking person can become fixated on the shiny red paint of a fire engine, or the rolling clouds overhead might be a good metaphor for joy or urgency. Don't limit yourself to writing directly about the emotions.

Fandom: Leni, Dark Star, Jo, Taaroko, Maren, Chrislee, Fluffernutter, A2Zmom, Kita, lots of others.

Literature: Tolkien, Peter S. Beagle, Neil Gaiman, Barbara Kingsolver, C.S. Lewis, Toni Morrison, Flannery O'Connor, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, George RR Martin, lots of others.

Has there ever been a fic that you read that you just couldn't wait to stop reading because it was so terrible and so OOC and just weird?

One of the first fics I ever read on Fanfiction.net was a B/A chaptered story that checked practically every box in the "absolutely not" list I would eventually develop: Angel rescuing the damsel, Buffy being raped as a plot device, her friends and sister being antagonists and summarily disowned, Angel having piles of wealth for no apparent reason, both of them giving up helping others in favor of retiring in luxury and having sex all the time. Nowadays I wouldn't give it a second glance, but I think it was the first fully B/A current fic I had found and I was curious. In a way it even helped, because I read it and thought, "Hey, I can do better than this..."

There has been an influx of writers going to livejournal instead of updating their websites or starting up websites, Do you believe that is because it's the hip thing to do or because we are in a recession and money is tight and it costs too much to maintain or create a website?

Not really either. Believe it or not, on Livejournal we've been talking about how nobody is posting there anymore, and how to revive the fandom presence we used to have. True about the personal websites disappearing, though. I don't think it's a money matter so much as fandom in general (and B/A in particular) going through a lull. It might recover or it might not, but I think any action, LJ or websites, is a good thing.

No, but I have fics in mind for Dollhouse, Firefly, Escaflowne, and The Lion King (ya rly), and BtVS crossovers I'd like to write for Cowboy Bebop and X-Men.

Does such a thing exist? Give it to me and no one gets hurt.

Would you ever consider becoming a mentor of sorts to someone who might be new to our fandom?

You know like helping them perfect their writing skills and telling them the best sites to go to in our part of the fandom and oh how to avoid getting in a shipper fight.

Absolutely, if only I had the time! I've been saying for a while now that I need to prioritize writing my own fiction, and even that hasn't been happening, so.

I love beta reading. I usually only do it for good friends now - time constraints, again.

Not sure. Possibly The Road From Babel.

There isn't enough of it. I just want more people to participate - talk to each other more, contribute whatever fanfiction, fan art, meta, reviews, or general discussion they have in them, and respond to each other's efforts. It's not something that any one person can fix, but on the bright side, every little bit counts. Even our individual posts on this forum. Smile

Lastly, what is your biggest piece of advice to anyone who is considering writing for our fandom or any fandom in general?

Don't get discouraged! If you're writing a story because you want to, you're already doing it right. Be open to criticism, explore your own ideas no matter how weird they are, and pay close attention to what you like in others' work, and improvement will come.
Dark Star
The Powers That Be
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post!

I write as Dark Star, though most call me DS.

I started writing around 2000. I found fanfiction online, but at that time the stories I found were either fluffy or just plain bad. I have nothing against fluff, of course, but I wanted a bit of action going on. So when I complained to family, they said, “Well, write it, then…”

I prefer quiet, which is hard to find in my household! Sometimes I write to music, too, if its just kind of drifting in the background.

There is no secret formula in writing, I’m afraid. Just keep trying different things and see what works for you in that story.

Far too many fandom favourites to list! Which is why I make websites…

Unfortunately, yes.

I’ve been on livejournal for ten years and its definitely quieter than it used to be. The cost of running a website is not that great, and there are also free ones available.

No.

There is a cure?

I have, but these days I just don’t have the time.

See above.

It’s not really for me to say, is it? Various stories seem to be popular with different people.

People need to take part – in whatever way they can - or it will die. Write your stories, make graphics, websites, etc, and don’t forget to give feedback to others who make things – it might make all the difference to how they feel. We have to keep fresh things happening or people will get bored and hunt out shiny new – and busy – fandoms.

Just do it. Don’t write what you think people want to read, write the things that please you. Not everyone will like what you write, but if you love it – others will, too.

"Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Fiction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: