Blood Roses Community Forum Index

"It started with a girl..."

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Say in Ice - a new B/A fic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Fiction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ariaadagio
Mortal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Some Say in Ice - a new B/A fic Reply with quote

For anyone who's interested, I've started posting the novel-length B/A story I mentioned here a few years ago, titled Some Say in Ice. (Yes, I know that took for-freaking-ever to write. Sorry! Stupid, stubborn muse.) Rating is currently T but may rise to M. You can find it on Ao3: http://archiveofourown.org/works/9840554 and on FFnet: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12374480/1/Some-Say-in-Ice

Summary: Post NFA fix-it. B/A major, C/A friendship major, C/A minor. After the dragon, Angel wakes up in a world he doesn't remember ever living in. He has everything he ever wanted. All for a price he never would have paid. Eden for an apple. A catch-22. But is this a faustian tale, or a question of faith? Unfortunately, it's difficult for Angel to tell.
bonnaleah
Dark Avenger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that was fantastic. You had me in the first paragraph with Spike's dust flowing into a drain. lol. But seriously, you have accomplished something the current comic writers haven't been able to master....you have the characters voices down perfectly. I couldn't believe how as I was reading the voices all fell into place without me even trying to make them do so. With the ongoing comic even if I try to make myself hear the voices it doesn't work. So Bravo! I can hardly wait to read the next installment. Heart
Grace Newman
Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adored it as well. Thanks for sharing, Ariaadagio!

You have so many beautiful turns of phrase. I particularly liked:

Quote:
The rope grinds into his armpits as Faith pulls him upward, adding a new sentence of discomfort to his novel of pain.

A few passages really struck me.

Angel's realization of all the damage around him:

Quote:
The dragon burned the forest to ash while Angel hacked at trees.

In that moment, Angel's conviction crumbles.

He is entropy. He is death.

He was duped.

Again.

And this piece with Buffy:
Quote:
Smash. "Stupid rubble," she mutters between blows. Another smash. "Stupid demons." Another smash. "Stupid kamikaze vampire who thinks." Smash. "He's." Smash. "Invincible." Smash. "When." Smash. "He's so." Smash. "So." Smash. Smash. Smash. "So not.

And this whole section:
Quote:
For some reason, whatever's happened to him allows him to perform complex math. He can add two plus two and get seven, and it all makes sense. Using this kind of thought process allows him to get the idea that he can stand and help her move rubble out of the way. He's strong, and the two of them together might make faster progress. As theories go, it's not his worst one.

He doesn't get much beyond sitting up. He moves like some sort of logy sloth, and by the time he's upright, he thinks he might be sick again. He rests with his undamaged cheek pressed against the sheet rock.

"It's okay," she says between kicks. "You can provide moral support.

So perfect!
Ariaadagio
Mortal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you so much! And thank you two also for leaving reviews on ffnet/Ao3!

Vivid imagery and matching character voices are two things I always strive hard to do in particular. I love engaging all five senses. And I love love love to write snappy/witty dialog, particularly big ensemble scenes that have a lot of back and forth and opportunities for me to let my sense of humor out to play Smile Cordelia is the character I find easiest to mimic, but I have fun with all of them.

That "moral support" scene is one of my favorites in that chapter! I'm so glad you liked it!

Anyway, it's been really nice to revisit my inner B/A fan! The last time I wrote fic for Angel and BtVS, the shows were still airing new episodes, and I was still in college. My writing has matured considerably since then, and it's fun for me to look at what I can do now, and look at what I did then, and see where I've gotten better.

Thanks so much again for the lovely feedback Smile You totally made my day! I hope you enjoy the rest. I posted a new chapter today -- it's kind of transitional so it's a bit more low key, but things really kick into gear soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blood Roses Community Forum Index -> B/A Fiction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: